Sunday, July 20, 2008

Best friends

Let me introduce you to our best friends. M. Langenscheidt and Mde. Berlitz. Though they have different covers they are exactly the same on the inside. We take them everywhere. They help us do homework, they help us with conversation at meals, they help us read signs, menus.....they are there for us.
We had an interesting conversation with Edwin and Peta this morning. Edwin and Peta are from England and have spend a lot of time at Les Cedres. Edwin said that there have been people here from all walks of life--from every country. Executives to ordinary people like Paul and I. One thing we all have in common is that you all start out like babies trying to learn the language. You can't express yourself.....your vocabulary is so small. You can understand a word here and there, get the gist of what is said....you might want to comment on it, but everyone's off on a different topic now. Communication is so hard. There is only so many times you can say "Il fait beau" (the weather is nice) without wanting to curl up in the fetal position and rock. I know it will get better. It's just so exhausting to look so many words up in the dictionary and think what you want to say before you say it so you get the sentence structure right. I know I should try harder to talk at meal times, but right now I use that time as a time of rest. I try to listen and understand what other people are saying. Today I plan to spend some time in labo after class. I need to try harder to push through that wall. I know it will get better.

1 comment:

Hack said...

Gee my French-English dictionary is solid blue. But mine is so old (high school & college days) that it predates the King James version . . .

Jean-Luc Sudar